Paranormal Discovery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paranormal Discovery

This is the place to chat about all things paranormal with Dundee based investigation team, Paranormal Discovery. Share experiences, ask or answer questions, share theories and get the latest investigation reports from the team.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Our next investigation will take place overnight from 18th - 19th September.

Residual Haunting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Treen
Admin
Treen

Residual Haunting Empty
PostSubject: Residual Haunting   Residual Haunting I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:14 pm

Many historical buildings claim to be home to residual hauntings, an echo of the past. Ann Boleyn is frequently spotted at the Tower of London, Roman soldiers have been seen marching through the cellars of a house in York, for example.

Residual hauntings sometimes focus on a traumatic or emotional event which is played back time and time again over the centuries. Energy and emotion is somehow trapped within a specific area. The phenomena can be visual, olfactory, auditory and applies to humans as well as animals and vehicles. Anniversary hauntings can be included in this section.

It is worth mentioning though that this type of haunting is unintelligent. There is no point trying to communicate with the 'ghost'. Trigger object experiments, for example, are going to be a waste of time. These 'spirits' are not conscious and will not be aware of any onlooker. It has been reported that with residual hauntings the playback will itself show that this event was recorded in the past : the feet of marching armies are often missing because the ground level has risen since that the event was 'recorded'. A ghostly lady may disappear into a wall where a doorway used to be long ago. Of note too is the fact that it is often just the ghostly figure that is seen and not the background or room she/he was in at the time which is a bit odd if it is indeed a playback of a specific event that is being witnessed.

These type of hauntings are of interest to the paranormal investigator because the same thing will possibly have been seen/heard time and time
again in the same location. It gives us a place to start and an area to
focus on. The same thing will allegedly have been witnessed by different
people at different times throughout history (lots of these cases, however, could have been exaggerated, misreported and stylised. The tales become well known and make it into guide books, history books and such like). We have to assume that there is perhaps some truth behind the story however, and if witnessed recently then of course being able to speak to the witness in person would be ideal.

On the other hand, because these hauntings are usually widely known do people who see them go into that particular building with the anticipation of seeing something? Do they really see exacly the same thing that others before them have seen or do they somehow just remember the bits that fit the story?

Here's something that puzzles me. Many people survive traumatic events or do the same things day in day out. Are we the residual hauntings of the future? And if so when do these hauntings start? Immediately after we die? Why don't we see the 'spirits' of the still living haunting a crime scene??
Back to top Go down
http://paranormaldiscovery.co.uk
Nat

Nat

Residual Haunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Residual Haunting   Residual Haunting I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 am

Somebody made a good point the other week, think it might have been you, and that is why does no one seem to report witnessing residual hauntings from ancient history or even prehistoric times?? Why does noone see ghost dinosaurs stomping about or neanderthals? Is there a time limit to hauntings? Do they 'wear out' with time?
Back to top Go down
stoner_chipmunk

stoner_chipmunk

Residual Haunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Residual Haunting   Residual Haunting I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 pm

^ from research I've looked at, it's been mentioned in several parapsychologist theories that residual hauntings tend to "fade" if you will, over time. This was concluded from looking at documented reports against several different paranormal hauntings.

For example; if the residual spook has been deceased and reporting haunting from around 1930's many of the reports stated that people intially mistook the ghost as a person who was wondering around lost (like in a theatre when closing the usher might be calling out telling them they need to leave, and the "person" tends to not hear them and wonder about) and yet over the time line from 1800's to 1700's, 1600's etc the figures reported appeared more waned, the definiton of body fades, then the colour goes etc etc. In theory it would end as a "dark shadow".

The main issue the of course have with this is that many "dark shadows" can appear in residual ghost sightings where they should still have a more solid shape.

hope that made sense and that I wasn't being all too dorky study
Back to top Go down
Treen
Admin
Treen

Residual Haunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Residual Haunting   Residual Haunting I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 11:19 pm

That makes perfect sense to me, Nic.
If it's all true it poses more questions about what ghosts actually are. Why do they fade?What are they made of that can't withstand the test of time? etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
http://paranormaldiscovery.co.uk
stoner_chipmunk

stoner_chipmunk

Residual Haunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Residual Haunting   Residual Haunting I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 pm

I agree, I often wondered as well, that if they faded, just became invisible to the naked eye or if they physically left, presuming it was a spiritual being
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Residual Haunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Residual Haunting   Residual Haunting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Residual Haunting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Paranormal Discovery :: Paranormal Discussions :: Types of phenomena-
Jump to: