Paranormal Discovery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paranormal Discovery

This is the place to chat about all things paranormal with Dundee based investigation team, Paranormal Discovery. Share experiences, ask or answer questions, share theories and get the latest investigation reports from the team.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Our next investigation will take place overnight from 18th - 19th September.

Pareidolia

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Treen
Admin
Treen

Pareidolia Empty
PostSubject: Pareidolia   Pareidolia I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 am

Pareidolia
From the Greek para = wrong & eidolon = image

How
often do we look up at he sky and see faces and other recognisable
things in the clouds, or wonder why the front of your car looks like a
friendly face (or is that just me?)? Pareidolia Wacko

The answer is due to pareidolia which is the mistaken perception of a random pattern or sound as being recognisable.
The
brain has the ability to create a meaningful image from a random
pattern. This can either be a visual image or an auditory phenomenon.
Psychologists actually use this innate human ability during the
Rorshach Inkblot Test to gain insight into someone's state of mind .
Human
beings are programmed from birth to identify the human face. Only
minimal details are required for us to recognise a face. Just look at
our modern day smilies, for example Pareidolia Smile

This
is bad news for us when trying to explain away an image caught on
camera or an EVP caught on tape. Sceptics will argue the case for
pareidolia almost every time. Pareidolia Blink

http://skepdic.com/pareidol.html

Treen
Back to top Go down
http://paranormaldiscovery.co.uk
Nat

Nat

Pareidolia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pareidolia   Pareidolia I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Probably more often than not, images or sounds could be explained by pareidolia - I know we've had photos where we've thought we'd captured something exciting and it's turned out to be the background. But pareidolia doesn't explain everything - particularly some of the evps that we have captured, which, to me, are without doubt, human voices. And at the time of these voices occurring, no other sounds were heard, let alone anyone speaking.
But it makes sense to first rule out pareidolia before considering anything to be paranormal.
Back to top Go down
stoner_chipmunk

stoner_chipmunk

Pareidolia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pareidolia   Pareidolia I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 am

What I find very interesting with the paranormal against photography would have to be thoughtography; where someone can "imprint" a physical image onto the photograph used by sheer mental focus.

However in it's experimentations (cannot remember when exactly - sure it was in the ever fanatical period of Victorians but don't quote me lol) many of the subjects used for the experiments were needed to become particularly drunk or emotionally distressed in order to create a powerful enough focus to project the image.

Suprisingly these images that did succeed had portrayed that of similar ghost-snaps still seen today, however it would also indicate severe emotional distress and dysfunction. In that respect it would support the parapsychological theory of poltergeists; but also suggest that every single paranormal photograph need to be in the presence of a severe emotionally imbalanced focus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pareidolia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pareidolia   Pareidolia I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pareidolia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Paranormal Discovery :: Paranormal Discussions :: The Learning Zone-
Jump to: